Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Babycakes!


I have a tendency to smash a lot of things into a very short time period. Like the time I took my licensing exam, wrapped up a post-doctoral fellowship, moved house from Gainesville to Tampa, and then left for a 2-week trip to Asia in a 48-hour time period. It happens. A lot.

This past week was a little like that. Besides working at my job where two more people died (despite my memo that this was NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE), applying for jobs in Tokyo, surviving bizarre overseas interview experiences, getting ready to move out of my apartment in a month, and my usual busy schedule of shenanigans (the latest events included moustaches and unicorns…have I said how much I love my life?), I hosted a baby shower tea party for my beloved sister-in-law…and if that wasn't enough, I turned my home into a one-woman sweatshop when less than a week before said tea party I decided this darling nephew of mine needed a handmade quilt from his auntie. I've said it before: I ONLY MAKE GOOD DECISIONS. And let me say this: IT WAS ALL WORTH IT.

My brother and his wife are beyond precious to me. And this nephew of mine is going to be so ridiculously loved by them and all the rest of us vying to be #1 in his heart, he isn't going to know what hit him. So it was a joy to shower them with the love and affection of friends and family. Oh, and diapers. Lots and lots of diapers. Because even though he is going to be the handsomest, smartest, darlingest baby to ever grace the earth, he is going to be an expert little bundle of pooping, screaming joy.

Here are a few snaps of the day:

Soon-to-be grandma, mommy, and auntie
How I love a tea party!
The quilt. And seriously, isn't she the most beautiful preggo ever? My brother is one lucky dude.

I am in love with how the quilt came out. I found this great tutorial that allows you to make a chevron quilt without all the annoying triangles (oh you know you hate the triangles too). And tea party food is some of my favorite...for some reason tiny food just seems to taste better. My mom made her awesome Oatmeal Lace Cookies, and was kind enough to share the recipe (That's right, people. I'm full service. I even provide QUILTING TUTORIALS and RECIPES. Boom.):


Oatmeal Lace Cookies

Makes 36 cookies

3 dl (1 1/3 cup) oatmeal
100g (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 dl (almost 2/3 cup) sugar  
1 egg
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder


  1.  Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Melt the butter. Pour it on the oatmeal and let stand for a while (10 minutes).
  3. Whisk the egg and sugar together, then add to the oatmeal.
  4. Mix flour and baking powder together, then add to the oatmeal.
  5. Spoon dollops of batter onto a cookie sheet, about one good teaspoon each. Give them plenty of space…they spread out!
  6. Bake 8 - 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Store in an airtight container.

So many people have asked me how I will be able to stand to leave my nephew behind when I leave for Japan. And right now, I can't really bear to even think about it. I know I am going to soak up every possible minute of that awesome baby smell and his precious chubby cheeks (which I can only assume he'll have if he looks anything like his dad):


I have loved this guy since the minute he was born. Every last roll.

And I will thank God for technology that will allow us to see each other whenever we want. In the meantime I will happily keep cramming too many events and moments and experiences into too little time. It does also help tremendously to know that I feel that this overseas move is something that God is specifically leading me to do at this point in my life, and that gives me a great sense of peace. Besides, when my nephew is older, I want to be able to tell him about the radical things God asked me to do, and the crazy blessings that came from stepping out in faith, making sacrifices, and letting Him mold what my life looked like, and that that is always the right and best decision. It's always been true in the past, and there is no way that won't be true now. Or...I'll resort to kidnapping. Either way.

4 comments:

  1. So sweet, we love you Lili! I will let this trip slide as long you are around once it's time to help him with his science fair projects! And thanks for adding the actual time that you let the butter stand with the oatmeal...I can see Aiti dictating the recipe..."I don't even know how much you use or for how long you bake anymore, I just do it..." ;) xoxo

    P.S. I also love every last delicious roll on that baby. Will I be so lucky??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know my mom too well. :) And yes, your baby will have the most delicious rolls ever. How can he not???? Love you too...so much!

      Delete
  2. Hi! So I just found your cute blog, when seaching Pinterest for an easy chevron quilt tutorial. I LOVE your quilt!! I am making one that needs to look just like it. Funny-Its for MY baby brothers new baby! I went to the tutorial and her strips were only like, 3 inches. How big did you cut yours? and how big were your blocks? I want that big, chunky chevron stripe, not the smaller ones (mainly for times sake, the shower is next weekend! Eek!) Any advice you have I would appreciate! Thanks!!

    Natalie

    natalieann4@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! If memory serves, I think I cut my strips 4.5" wide, so then with 1/4" seam allowances, made the final chevron stripes 4" wide. So then the blocks were 8.5" before I sewed them together. So you need to cut your long 4.5" strips into 8.5" pieces. Does that make sense? I did it all in a week, and it wasn't too bad!! Good luck!!!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...