Monday, August 20, 2012

Oh, Shenanigans


A lot of people, including every interviewer I have talked to, have asked me "Why Japan?" I even had to write two essays about why I wanted to live and work in Japan (no, I'm not going to post them, one posted essay is enough, thank you very much). 

There are so many reasons, the biggest being BECAUSE I CAN, closely followed by BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME. I have been there twice, and despite sticking out like a tall red-headed thumb, I feel as if I belong there. I am a very serious person (though this blog, my facebook profile, general choice of home d├ęcor, and ummmm….well, just about everything about me, may defy that characterization), but I am always up for anything fun (duh). That is also what I love about Japan. It is a very conservative, very serious culture, but when they let loose, they go all out. I respect that. I resonate with that. I want to hang out with that and make it a grilled cheese sandwich.

One of the aspects of Japanese culture that I am excited about experiencing is called "cosplay," which is short for "costume play." Grown folk get all dressed up and take on characters and go out in public. Sometimes they act things out, and sometimes they just hang out in Harajuku looking awesome and having their picture taken. How wonderfully weird and pointless! I can't wait to try it!

And without realizing it, I've been in some pretty intense training over the last year. Somehow I've become known for my propensity for instigating costume parties (or adding costumes to events that didn't really require it…come on…who DOESN'T dress up for Martin Luther King, Jr Day??). While some call these "shenanigans," I'm going to reframe that like the good psychologist I am and call it "training." I'm going to go ahead and say I'm well prepared.

I present the evidence (and this isn't even all of it):

Lady Gaga ready with her Poker Face
Barbee & Belinda, ready to rock, 80s style

Babe-raham Lincoln
Abe's 203rd Birthday Party & Poker Tourney
Office girl a la Mad Men
Celebrating the Season 5 premiere
Rowdy Roddy Piper & Brutus the Barber Beefcake.....


Wrestlemania XXVIII!!!

Oompa Loompa, Deep Roy-style
Happy Birthday to me!!

How awesome/hilarious/terrifying would it be if my patients ever found this page? Let's all marinate on THAT, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...