Saturday, December 8, 2012

Btw, I still don't know how to use the washing machine

I know, I know, it's been over a week since my last post. BUT I'VE BEEN BUSY, PEOPLE. I arrived a burned out psychologist, and after three crazy long days of training, BOOM, I'm an English teacher. Weird how that happens.
 
And I've also been running to different government offices to register/apply/blah blah, practicing my different "clueless" faces (I think I have at least six of them now) until they give up and find me a translator. And don't even get me started on the metric system!!!! Seriously, I think there is not one little thing that is the same as at home. Oh wait, no, that's not true...

They never let me down.

But I love it here. Have I said that yet? Let me be clear: I'm illiterate, lost, clueless, and confused, and I LOVE IT!! The smallest successfully completed task feels like a miracle. I used the ATM! HIGH-FIVES ALL AROUND!! People take one look at my gaijin self and EXPECT me to have no idea what's going on. Freedom!! Because I don't understand things, I have absolute permission to just IGNORE whatever's going on around me. Heaven! And getting lost, well...getting lost can be one of the greatest things EVER. Otherwise I might never have gotten to watch Japanese businessmen getting super serious about slot car racing. Sooooo intense! You just have to trust me on this one.

Dude.

Anyway, now that I have officially become one of the black-suited workers being crammed into a train, and actually have a little downtime during the day between students, I will try to be more consistent about sharing the wonders and horrors of life in Japan. For today, I will leave you with one of each. Are you ready?

WONDER:

Yup. That is a JUICE BOX of SAKE. SAKE. In a JUICE BOX. With a STRAW.

HORROR:

Soooo, we had not one but TWO earthquakes yesterday. And lucky me, I was at work on the 20th floor when the second, bigger one happened. Good thing I was raised with my mortality in mind, because I didn't freak out, although I also didn't hide under my desk like I was supposed to. Um, yeah, my self-preservation instincts in times of danger are spectacularly poor...but that's a story for another day. But how's your desk going to save you anyway? We're on the 20th floor...if junk really starts falling apart, then my guess is the whole building is coming down. Just make sure you have your ID in your pocket so it's easier for them to identify your body in the rubble. You know, if they ever find it. Your body, that is. That's my thinking. DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! YOU KNOW I LIKE TO BE PREPARED. Anyway, while others sensibly hid under their desks, I was fascinated by the swaying light fixtures. And because I ONLY CARE ABOUT YOU, I videotaped it:



Maybe I should've felt nervous coming to work today, but I take this all in stride as a part of life in Japan. And who knows...maybe one of these times it won't be an earthquake but GODZILLA!!!! Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!

Oh, now I miss Pedro. Boo.

Bye!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog posts are so funny and entertaining! I was afraid you had quit when you got to Japan because all of your other photos became private. Looking forward to a new post!

    - Random passerby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mai! So glad you enjoy it!! I noticed that the pictures got messed up after I moved...I've had the weirdest technology issues...post on that to come! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...